Re: Stop turning CPAN modules into Cygwin packages

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) schrieb:
Reini Urban wrote:
And I have to add that packaging perl is really hard, because I haven't got yet
the chroot trick to work when packaging it.
Modules hardcode absolute paths and install into hardcoded places, so it had
has to be done into the live tree and picking up the mass of new files
installed
there is a mess - done with a timestamp.

Did you look at how Gentoo deals with this:

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/dev-lang/perl/perl-5.8.8-r4.ebuild

And in particular this patch:

http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/dev-lang/perl/files/perl-5.8.7-MakeMaker-RUNPATH.patch

Yes, and I don't like it. It really should be done by chroot or some postinstall fixup, so that the runtime loadpath is not compromised.
I also don't like what other distros have in their runtime loadpath.
Maybe they don't care so much about useless stat's in non-existing dirs, because stat is so much faster on their OS.

But now that 5.10 is officially out I'm trying it again over the weekend.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/