Building Ruby (was Re: Ruby on Rails 2.0.2/Cygwin Bug)

In reference to that /dev/urandom bug I encountered last week, I
thought I might try to build Ruby from source on Cygwin and see how it
works.

I downloaded Ruby 1.8.6-p111 off the ruby-lang.org website, unpacked
it, then ./configure and make. This fails with:

./missing/strftime.c:193: error: 'timezone' redeclared as different
kind of symbol
/usr/include/cygwin/time.h:33: error: previous declaration of
'timezone' was here
make: *** [strftime.o] Error 1

I'm not sure why that happens, and I'm not sure what's different about
the Cygwin Ruby package which works. Any ideas?

Incidentally, I downloaded the new development release of Ruby 1.9.0,
and it compiles just fine on Cygwin. It also runs my /dev/urandom bug
script without failing, and lseek is not called in the strace.

Mike Boone
http://boonedocks.net/mike/