Re: Cygwin install not setting paths

Daniel So wrote:
Hello Larry

I do not know what you mean by a "mirror problem". Can you please explain
that? I tried all of the ".done" files in that dir.

I was suggesting that the mirror you installed Cygwin from may have been
experiencing "difficulties", perhaps so much so that you weren't getting
all of even the base set of packages.  Without this base set, you won't
get a running Cygwin installation.  So you may want to just try re-running
"setup.exe" and select a different mirror.

After re-running all of the ".done" files, whenever I open a cygwin
session, I get this message.
"Your group is currectly 'mkpasswd'. This indicates that the /etc/passwd
(and possibly /etc/group) files should be rebuilt. See the man pages for
mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd mkgroup -l [-d] > /etc/group Note that the
-d switch is necessary for domain users."

Even after running the "mkpasswd" and "mkgroup" command, I still get the
message above whenever I open a cygwin session. Is this something I should
be concerned about?

If everything else for you is fine and running "mkpasswd -l -d >/etc/passwd"
doesn't fix the problem, you can either edit the '/etc/passwd' file directly
to change your user's group to something appropriate (if you don't know what
this is, don't bother doing it) or ignore the error.  My guess is you're
still dealing with half an install so you're better off addressing that
issue first.

Holliston, MA 01746