Re: Limitation in PathName

Please keep replies on the list: http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE

According to harmeet.bansal@wipro.com on 1/30/2008 8:35 AM:
| Hi,
|
| Thanks for replying..
|
| Actually,I am facing an issue where I am able to create a folder of
| absolute length >250 characters in windows but

Cygwin requires that both the Windows absolute name and the POSIX pathname
be less than PATH_MAX.  If you haven't exceeded the Windows limits, it
could be that you are only exceeding the limits from the POSIX path.  In
which case you can try mounting the directory with a shorter POSIX prefix.

| when I am using the cygwin built exe (libarchive 2.4.12 bsdtar.exe)
| +
| It is giving the message "File Name too long" for the same path.This exe
| gives no path limit on Unix.

That's because most Unix systems don't have such pathetically small limits.

| I am not able to answer why this situation is being encountered. I don't
| understand the figures. +
|
| As 260 being PATH_MAX and255 being windows pathlength limit..

No, the Windows path length limit for files is 260, although I don't
remember if that includes space for a trailing NUL.  However, Windows also
enforces that directories must be shorter that this, so that you could
still create an 8.3 file name within that directory.  Overall, it is just
another annoyance thrust upon Windows users.

| I just hope you can help me out.
|
| Regards,
| Harmeet
|

| The information contained in this electronic message...

Please refrain from sending mails with these disclaimers to publicly
archived lists - they are unenforceable, and against list policy.

- --

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net