Re: Uninstalling Cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:24:53PM +0100, Sylvain RICHARD wrote:
I have to say that I agree with cgf. I should have looked in the FAQ
before, it would have saved some typing. I have had exactly the same
issue before and perhaps didn't find the answer at that time. People
who come from a UNIX background tend to use chown or chmod but may have
already deleted chown.exe and chmod.exe. Perhaps adding the exact
cacls invocation in the FAQ would be helpful

Good point. Do you (or anyone) want to suggest some wording for that section of the FAQ?

cgf
Not fully tested as I do not have full control over the machine I work on now, but something along the lines of:
- run
takeown /f c:\cygwin /a /r /d y
cacls c:\cygwin0 /t /g Administrators:F
- delete c:\cygwin in Explorer
should be a start.

However,
1) This is for English versions of Windows only:
/d y (answer "yes") can become /d o("oui"), and perhaps /d j("ja"), /d s("si"),...
"Administrators" is localized too

2)
http://www.ss64.com/nt/cacls.html says:
"Errors when changing permissions
If a user or group has a permission on a file or folder and you grant a second permission to the same user/group on the same folder, NTFS will sometimes produce the error message "The parameter is incorrect" To fix this (or prevent it happening) revoke the permission first (/e /r) and then reapply (/e /g)"

Good night

Sylvain RICHARD