Re: whitespace in variables (tsch)

thanks much corinna.  i knew to try various ways of quoting, but
wouldn't have thought of quoting the variable itself when called!
you're a life-saver.

cheers
christopher

On Feb 11, 2008 12:26 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On Feb 11 11:59, Christopher Stack wrote:
> > first time cygwin user and im running into a problem when setting
> > location variables on a pc.  since the pc uses whitespace (like
> > c:/Program Files), setting a variable as a direction to this location
> > seems impossible.  how do you get tsch to parse the variable properly?
> >  i've been searching google for the past two days and can't find a
> > solution.  it would seem other should have run into this previously,
> > no?
> >
> > and yes, please i've already heard all the arguments against
> > programming in csh and if i knew bash i'd use it.  thanks in advance
> > for not being *that* person.
>
> The secret buzzword is "quoting".  In every shell.  On every OS.
> This is not Cygwin specific.  I typed the below in a tcsh on Linux.
>
>   tcsh$ cd /tmp
>   tcsh$ mkdir foo\ bar
>   tcsh$ setenv DIR "foo bar"
>   tcsh$ cd $DIR
>   cd: Too many arguments.
>   tcsh$ cd "$DIR"
>   tcsh$ pwd
>   /tmp/foo bar
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
>
> --

"Space is on the verge of becoming an adventure again, Windows Vista
is flopping, and Mario Kart will be out for the Wii soon. I think the
future will be okay."
- xkcd