gdb, no line numbers after gcc -g ???

With gdb under cygwin I'm getting:

0x00405309 in image_doubles_read ()
(gdb)  where
#0  0x00405309 in image_doubles_read ()
#1  0x004063c8 in doublesimage_read ()
#2  0x004076fc in main ()
(gdb) info locals
No symbol table info available.
(gdb) quit
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
Done

Now, the program was definitely compiled with -g, which has been
sufficient on other systems (Suns) to give me line numbers in the
past.  According to what I can find with Google it should be
sufficient, and I can find little about this problem on cygwin with
my searching.  Have I missed something obvious?  I updated my cygwin
last week using the latest setup.exe, and the versions

12:10:03$ gdb --version
GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060706-cvs (cygwin-special)
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".

12:10:08$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

Is there anything else I need to do in order to get line numbers
reported correctly?  What other information would be good to provide?

        Thank you,
        Hugh