This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: chown with not existing user/group
- From: "Dave Korn" <dave dot korn at artimi dot com>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:28:30 -0000
- Subject: RE: chown with not existing user/group
- References: <loom.20080228T135447firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 28 February 2008 13:59, Matthieu CASTET wrote:
> I wonder why on cygwin we can't use chown with numeric id that don't exist
> in /etc/passwd, /etc/group  ?
Because it has to emulate unix perms by relating uid/gid to windows RIDs, which are owned, allocated and controlled by the system, and not under the arbitrary choice of the user, so the semantics wouldn't be the same even if we did create ACLs with unrecognised SIDs on them.
Can't think of a witty .sigline today....
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html