Re: -11: Problem at 1st start when "cygwin.bat" is run by Nullsoft-Installer

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:59:06AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Apr 10 09:48, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
>> - Is it possible that Cygwin's mapping of
>> "c:\Users\ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" to
>> "/cygdrive/c/Users/ADMINI~1/AppData/Local/Temp" doesn't yet exist at the
>> time the error occurs?
>
>No.  The environment is converted before the shell is doing something
>on its own accord.
>
>Is it possible that the cygdrive prefix doesn't exist when cygwin.bat is
>called the first time?  So far the installer is responsible for creating
>the mount points and the cygdrive prefix in the registry.  And after that,
>before calling cygwin.bat, the installer should run the postinstall scripts
>in /etc/postinstall.

The cygdrive prefix shouldn't have to live in the registry.  It should be
defaulted by the cygwin DLL, i.e., '/cygdrive/c' should be usable without
ever running setup.exe.

>>- Would it be possible for the Cygwin developers to implement the usage
>>of a /tmp independet from it's windows pendant to cure this?
>
>The usage of $TEMP/$TMP/$TMPDIR has nothing to do with Cygwin.  The
>Cygwin DLL itself has no need for a tmp dir.  The reason it's used is
>that bash honors (at least) $TMPDIR.  One workaround would be to delete
>these environment variables before bash is called.  But, of course,
>this doesn't help to track down the actual cause of the problem.

And, even if that was not the case, this is free software.  If you want
something done, you can do it yourself.  A point that seems to be
sometimes lost in this mailing list is that it is primarily devoted to
the discussion of the cygwin distribution, and the people working on the
cygwin DLL are also primarily devoted to that goal.  Asking for people
to do work for you which will accommodate needs which fall outside of
the Cygwin distribution seems to be missing that point.

It's nice that people have found other uses for cygwin1.dll and the packages
which go into the distribution found at http://cygwin.com/  but I think
it is unrealistic to expect that people here will be cheerfully willing
to do extra work to make it easy for other uses of cygwin.  Again, maybe
if this wasn't free software there would be more of a need to have other
people help you but that isn't the case here.

I know this isn't really helping your issue but this is at least the
second time in a month that someone has suggested that cygwin developers
might need to do something or are being unreasonable in not doing
something that would meet requirements that were outside of the
cygwin.com distribution so I thought it was time for a little bit of a
rant.

cgf