Re: using rsync with Win32/UNC pathnames?

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
On Apr 11 14:26, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
On Apr 3 13:10, Brian Dessent wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

So once Cygwin learns how to speak UTF-8, I will finally be able to
backup all Windows files... :)
Set CYGWIN=codepage:utf8 to enable UTF-8 support.
...and set LC_CTYPE=C-UTF-8, otherwise multibyte/wide char aware
application don't convert UTF-8 strings correctly from multibyte to
wide char and vice versa.
Although it helped greatly, I'm still unable to open some files with Cygwin apps.

One reason could be that you're accessing a remote samba share which has filenames with characters which are invalid utf-8 chars. In this case there's nothing Cygwin can do. You will have to fix that on the server side.

I'm accessing the file locally.

Windows tools have no problems accessing them.

Some Windows tools say for example "this directory contains file names from a different code page" (i.e., Total Commander will say this when entering a directory which contains such a file).

Is there a setting which will enable Cygwin apps to open all files, irrespective of their name encoding?

utf-8 is supposed to be able to convert all wide chars to a multibyte sequence. If it's *not* the above server-side problem, we would need a simple, self-contained, reproducible testcase, preferrably in plain C.

Is a file in an archive enough?

It looks like it looses the special character in tar or zip, but 7zip can store it just fine.

If you want, download http://wpkg.org/test.7z

You will need 7zip to extract it (or something compatible).

The archive contains a "test" directory and an empty file in it. That filename contains a strange character.

Then, try to access this file with any Cygwin program - it won't work.

Mind that I use a German language Windows version - if the above doesn't work for you, I can give you remote access if you want.

-- Tomasz Chmielewski http://wpkg.org