This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Why I hate updates
- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:26:24 -0400
- Subject: Re: Why I hate updates
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <1211846188.16349.107.camel@sd>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Richard Foulk wrote:
I've asked a few update related questions over the years and mostly
no answers. I now update only occasionally and expect to have to reload
and reconfigure from time to time.
That's just the way it goes. Setup doesn't even recover from failed
file transfers very well. Often blows the whole system or causes
setup to be unable to run again, requiring a fresh install. A setup
error *usually* means starting over from scratch.
Not a very production-friendly system.
I'd recommend reporting the details of problems you encounter with
"setup.exe", if nothing else. It's always possible you're seeing a
bug that could be resolved with some effort.
Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com
RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746
> Q: Are you sure?
>> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html