Re: Patch to allow Cron to use non-POSIX shells like Powershell.exe and CMD.exe

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:16:41AM +0100, Blair Sutton wrote:
>On further investigation, it appears powershell does alias "-c" for
>"-command" hence no changes would be required for cron to support it.
>However, the change would still be useful for other shells or perhaps
>interpreters like Perl.
>
>On Pierre's offered solution: I now do recall how exec works and it is
>correct that it replaces the current process - although a there will
>be some overhead. However, that begs the question why cron ever
>supported the SHELL parameter in the first place; if Mr Vixie wanted
>everyone to write a wrapper script using his preferred shell.

Mr.  Vixie rightly assumed that cron was running in a UNIX-like
environment where shells take the "-c" option.  Ditto the authors of
"make", "vim", and other packages which use the SHELL environment
variable.

Can we please put this to rest now?

cgf