Re: Fwd: md5sum using Cygwin in Windows

"Wow! Zing!" ???

Hum ...

I would think a simple "yes, understanding Unix/Linux before dealing with Cygwin" would have been a bit more professional .. or, probably more to the point, encouraging one to pursue learning Unix/Linux.

Regarding his comment of Ubuntu being "newbie-friendly", I live in a RH/Fedora world and I was advised by Linux folks I respect to not try to bring my own system up under Ubuntu as it would confuse me since I am a programmer and not a sysAdmin guru. I'm not advocating RH/Fedora, but flavors on Linux are important and following this post gives me the sense that Cygwin is RH based (underscored by http://www.redhat.com/software/cygwin/). Hence, that might be a better model towards his understanding Linux and then Cygwin.

Paul
(the person who might be referred to in cgf's "Hmm. Just got a similar question on irc a while ago.Cygwin doesn't use : or \." (23jun08, same thread) which may be fundamental but still a necessary learning experience by doing wrong and being corrected ... twice)