Re: bash command not found

Mark,

Many thanks for the response.

When I installed Cygwin, I had used the view "Category" and clicked on
"Default" next to "All" at the root of the tree so that it would
change to "Install".

My understanding is that doing so should install everything available
on the mirror from which you are installing.

I performed the check you recommended. When I toggle the view to
"Uninstalled" I only see five obscure packages listed and the list
does not include "perl" or "util-linux". However, I do see these two
packages listed when I toggle the view to either "Category" or "Full".
And the "New" column is set to "Keep" in both cases. This seems to
suggest that these libraries are indeed installed. Do you agree?

If so, then it would appear as if somehow they are not on the PATH.

Again, here is the output I get when I do "echo $PATH".

/cygdrive/c/oraclexe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/sy
stem32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Program
 Files/Intel/Wireless/Bin/:/cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin:/cygdrive/c/apache-ant-1.6.5/b
in:/cygdrive/c/jvmstat/bat:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Roxio Shared/D
LLShared/:/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Roxio Shared/DLLShared/:/cygdri
ve/c/Program Files/Common Files/Roxio Shared/9.0/DLLShared/:/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/QuickTime/QTSystem/

I see that perl.exe is located here:

C:\cygwin\installation_files\ftp%3a%2f%2fftp.cise.ufl.edu%2fpub%2fmirrors%2fcygwin%2f\release\perl\bin

There is a cygwin.bat one folder up that seems to do a chdir to
...\perl\bin prior to lauching Cygwin. But bash is still not able to
find perl. And in any case, I'd like to be able to start Cygwin in one
consistent manner and have it find everything that is installed.

Do I need to adjust the PATH? If so, how do I find out what to add to
the PATH for util-linux and perl?

By the way, I also just reinstalled perl, just to make sure. And I
still see perl.exe only in the installation_files tree, not in
cygwin/bin, where I am hoping to see it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Puneet