Re: system shared memory mismatch problem

Akula, Murali wrote:
Hi,

I installed/uninstalled cygwin couple of times, previously.  When I
install a new version (1.5.24) now, I get the following error, when I
start any app:

*************
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xinit.exe (2936): *** system shared memory
version mismatch detected - 0x2D1E009C/0x75BE0081.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the
cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version
*should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.

I searched on my drive and the only cygwin1.dll is x:\cygwin\bin.  I
uninstalled cygwin (as recommended at the FAQ) cleaned registry entries
and path, etc.., rebooted and installed cygwin again.  I continue to see
the same problem.
Is there a way to find which app is creating the shared memory area? Any
help is appreciated.  How can I fix this without having to reimage my
machine?

Make sure, if you're using Windows search, that you tell Windows to show you hidden files and folders. These options are in the "View" tab under "Folder Options..." in the Explorer "Tools" menu. Windows hides lots of important stuff by default. :-(

Holliston, MA 01746