Re: system shared memory mismatch problem

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 05:39:59PM -0700, Akula, Murali wrote:
>>On 07/02/2008, Akula, Murali wrote:
>>>I tried searching with 'Search Hiden Files & Folders' checked.  It
>>>still shows only one cygwin1.dll
>>
>>Then try "Process Explorer".  Grab it from sysinternals.com.  With
>>that, you can find out what process is running cygwin1.dll and where it
>>is.
>
>Great tool!! Thanks.  Tried it.  I ran rxvt from the new cygwin
>installation and that's what's showing up (and sh) as using the
>cygwin1.dll.  The one from c:\cygwin\bin is being used by these apps.
>If I exit rxvt, then there's no other process using the cygwin1.dll.
>
>Looks like there is no other version of cygwin1.dll running.  Do I have
>something really corrupted.
>
>I was actually wondering how can I run rxvt and some other tools, while
>I cannot run X, etc..  Do they use shared memory differently?  Or not
>make the version checks?

If you can run rxvt but not X that would suggest that you are running
some other version of X than the standard cygwin version which has its
own cygwin1.dll.  Do you have other web downloaded packages installed?

Possibly the cygcheck output mentioned at http://cygwin.com/problems.html
would be more instructive.

Also check out BLODA: http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA .

cgf