Re: Relation Between Mount System and The Registry?

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:11:39PM -0700, Sam Hanes wrote:
>Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> Sam Hanes wrote:
>>>
>>> Can someone explain to me when the registry keys in
>>> "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2" and the same in HKCU
>>> get read into the mount table? I can find the source for the mount
>>> table itself (in "src/winsup/cygwin/mount.cc") but not where the
>>> information from the registry is initially read in, or were it gets
>>> written out when a new entry is added.
>>
>> Why do you care?  'mount' currently manipulates the registry but it won't
>> come 1.7.0.  The use of the registry for 'mount' is an implementation
>> detail.  If you're doing something that keys off of this, you may want
>> to rethink your strategy.  You may be better off basing your logic on
>> 'mount' as opposed to the keys and values in the registry that 'mount'
>> manipulates.
>>

>Oh. I assume 1.7.0 is the one currently in CVS. That would explain why
>I can't find the logic to write the mount registry keys in the CVS
>sources. It's not there. Well, that's one less thing I have to think
>about. Would you mind pointing me to where I should have found that?
>Reading the ChangeLog in "src/winsup/cygwin" I can see a great many
>changes from the process of moving over to the new fstab system, but I
>assume there was an announcement of the change somewhere other than
>cygwin-developers.

We don't make formal announcements about unreleased versions of Cygwin.

However, we have been consistent in telling people not to muck with the
registry but to use the tools instead, and we always mention that the
registry is neither permanent or guaranteed not to change.

cgf