programming API to determine whether in "Cygwin environment"

My console program is built for native Windows (thus does not reply on
cygwin1.dll). However, people may want to use it in a Cygwin environment and
if they do I want it to behave in a suitably "Unixy" way. The obvious
example is that when it prints out a pathname (which happens a lot) a Cygwin
user would prefer to see it in Cygwin style, including forward slashes.

So I'm looking for a boolean method which will allow a program to tell
whether it was run from within a Cygwin shell. An environment variable would
be fine as long as it's standard. In fact I see a number of env vars which
would enable an educated guess but am wondering if there's a defined
standard and safe way.

TIA