Re: installing DBI from cpan and getting this...

2008/7/13 Yaakov (Cygwin Ports):
> thefinn wrote:
> | what the hell is it trying to do to /usr/bin anyhow? should it not just
> | install into /usr/lib/perl/site/blah ???
>
> Some perl modules install scripts into /usr/bin.  In this case, perl-DBI
> installs dbilogstrip, dbiprof, and dbiproxy.

BTW: I'm just considering switching from /usr/bin/ to
sitebin='/usr/local/bin'
sitescript='/usr/local/bin'

For now I'm testing it with -Dusedevel configurations, but the maint
5.10.0.-6 package could use it as well.
What do you think?
cpan bin's and scripts would then go into /usr/local/bin/

> | Is there not a package I can install for this apart from compiling the
> | cpan one?
>
> You could use cygport, or get the package from Cygwin Ports.  But the
> simplest thing to do would be to fix your permissions on /usr/bin,
> providing that you have the right to do so.

Indeed, using cpan is the simpliest solution.
If you have no  /usr/bin/ write permissions you have to use a private
prefix in your
 ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm:
'makepl_arg' => q[PREFIX=/home/<USERNAME>/perl]

And add /home/<USERNAME>/perl/lib to your PERL5LIB environment and
/home/<USERNAME>/perl/bin to your path.

If you don't have a  ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm,
you can create it with perl -MCPAN -e'mkmyconfig'
Answer the first question with 'no' and use PREFIX=~/perl at <makepl_arg>

All these are basic perl questions and not related to cygwin.
--
Reini Urban