Re: cygrunsrv do not automatic start service

Matthias Meyer wrote:

I've installed (cygrunsrv -I) a ssh tunnel with:
/usr/bin/autossh -M 0 -o ServerAliveInterval=20 -o ServerAliveCountMax=3 -N -C -i /etc/.ssh/id_rsa -L 389:localhost:389 user@server.at

Unfortunatly this tunnel will not startet at boot time.
If I start the service with cygrunsrv -S it will run.

Any hint?

Several:

- Did you add the environment string required (AUTOSSH_NTSERVICE)?
- Did you add a dependency to the network? (not required but it makes sense);
- Did you install the service to run as your account? (OpenSSH refuses to run if the access to the keys is too lax, or if it has no access as in other users don't have access to your keys).

The command line I used for installation is (with obfuscated password of course):

$ cygrunsrv --install autossh --path /usr/bin/autossh --env "AUTOSSH_NTSERVICE=yes" --args "-M 0 -F /etc/autossh/ssh_config.remote rberber@example.com" --user rberber --passwd SECRET -y tcpip

The configuration file, ssh_config.remote has all the options for ssh:

$ cat /etc/autossh/ssh_config.legosoft Host example.com AddressFamily inet
BatchMode yes
#BindAddress 127.0.0.1
CheckHostIP no
Compression yes
LocalForward localhost:3333 sunfire:3333
Protocol 2
TCPKeepAlive yes

I found that using other options, like User, IdentityFile, UserKnownHostsFile, and HostName made the whole tunnel fail, I really don't know why, I didn't experiment further.
--
René Berber