Linker Search Directories

I hope it's okay to start a new thread about this because the previous
thread had veered off-topic.

I'm trying to build a project (using make) that needs python.  Python's link
library is in /lib/python2.5/config/ but unfortunately, 'make' doesn't seem
to be aware of this and fails with the message:-

cannot find -lpython2.5 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

How do I add python's folder to my list of linker search directories? I've tried google and a couple of other places but couldn't find anything helpful. However, I can't imagine that this is a difficult task.

Hope someone can help,

John