Re: Execute permission not set when creating files

John Cooper wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
I don't think I've met a POSIX-like system yet that automatically creates
things with any +x bits set.

I'm assuming that the recent Cygwin's failure to set the +x bit is the cause of the underlying problem, namely that any files I create (e.g., via output redirection) can no longer be read when I'm logged onto my wife's desktop.

I'd expect the read bit to be the culprit, not the execute bit. (Also, I'd be surprised if Cygwin set +x on anything except directories at any point in the last... well, long time :-).)

This certainly wasn't a problem with a previous version of Cygwin, and is
really quite a nuisance. (if I create a file with `notepad' or any other
Windows program, it is, by default, readable when logged in as a different
user.)

Notepad, being a pure-Windows program, has a ridiculous habit of making things executable that shouldn't be.

You might want to check the ACL's with cacls and/or getfacl, both of the problematic files, their owning directories, and the parents thereof. And compare to something that works (preferably in the same directory). (So, if you have /cygdrive/c/Foo/Bar/something.txt, you'd want to look at something.txt, /cygdrive/c/Foo/Bar, and possibly /cygdrive/c/Foo, etc.)

Does adding a+x really fix the problem? If so that seems... surprising.

--
Matthew
ESNR: signal to noise ratio too low (try a mailer without disclaimers)