Re: reseting HOME directory

Will Parsons wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
mcbenus wrote:
Thanks! Is that ok to change the Windows Home? what implications it may have
on other software?
For Cygwin, you shouldn't set HOME in the Windows environment unless you
need Cygwin to see the same HOME as some other software (MKS is one
example I know of that likes to set HOME in the Windows environment).
As for the implications, it depends on the software you have installed
that relies on this environment variable (like MKS).  Windows doesn't
use HOME.  So unless you really need it, you're better off removing
it from you Windows environment.

I don't know that there's any particular reason to discourage setting HOME in the Windows environment - I've done it for years (since I started using Cygwin B19, I think). For me, it serves to indicate where "my stuff" is located, whether Cygwin related or not (c:\wbp). Besides Cygwin, it is used in my systems by (non-Cygwin) Emacs and MSYS.

As I said, if there's a reason for someone to set HOME as a Windows environment variable, then there's no reason it can't be done and Cygwin will happily use that setting as well. Non-Cygwin Emacs, MKS, and any other software out there that relies on HOME being set to something in the Windows environment is a fine reason to do that. But Cygwin doesn't need that. And if a user isn't using software that needs that, such as in the case of the OP where things were "fine" until something set HOME in Windows, then having it set is of no advantage and can even cause problems. So my recommendation is, if you don't need it, don't set it. If you don't know that you need it, don't set it. If you know you need it or want it, set it. In the last case, it's assumed you know what you're doing and that you know how to deal with any issues that might arise from doing that. You're obviously in that camp. There's no reason for you to change. The fact that the OP was confused by this setting suggests that he's not. For folks like that, I always recommend that things be kept simple. That's all.

Holliston, MA 01746