Re: Bash process hangs around forever after ssh disconnect

Thorsten Kampe wrote:
Screen is /not/ off-topic because it is the solution to your problem. If you are asking for a solution where you cannot use screen because it is not installed or because you forgot to run it before starting a shell then you should say so.

Ok then, I want a solution where I cannot use screen because it is not installed or because I forgot to run it before starting a shell.

There. Now will I get some help?

Let's assume you could not run or forgot to run screen: a quick Google search for "cygwin bash ssh zombie sessions" leads to the conclusion that you're not the first one who noticed that.

I attempted to Google the problem before I ever posted to this list. Evidently didn't have the right words. But even after reading the results of above, I still dont know...

Is this a known problem for which there is a fix?
Is this a known problem that no-one can fix?
Is this a known problem that no-one is willing to fix?

Well, probably you should use screen.

I'm glad I have you to tell me what I should do. I feel so loved.

Michael