Re: gcc4/gfortran

According to Gustavo Seabra on 12/3/2008 7:38 AM:
> 1. Is is safe to remove the old gcc (3.*) packages and replace them by
> symlinks to the new gcc4 executables?

Read the archives.  Dave has mentioned that he is planning on a future
packaging of the gcc packages that use the alternatives package, so that
the symlink management of the name gcc can be done automatically to point
to either gcc-3 or gcc-4.  But at the moment, I'm not sure whether the
gcc-4 package requires files provided by the gcc package, in which case
blindly deleting all thing gcc 3.* might break gcc-4.

> 2. In this case, which executables should I point the symlink to? For
> instance, if I were to replace g77 by a symlink to gfortran, which of
> the 4 gfortran executables should I use:
>
>     $ locate gfortran | grep exe
>     /bin/gfortran-4.exe
>     /bin/i686-pc-cygwin-gfortran-4.exe

These are identical copies; one is the name preferred when
cross-compiling, the other when doing native compiles.  But why worry
about adding symlinks?  Why not just rely on what the package gave you,
since it works?  Are you really that low on disk space?  I suppose they
could be made hardlinks to one another, if someone were to invest the time
into patching setup.exe to attempt to make hardlinks (instead of its
current behavior of blindly creating identical copies, even when the tar
file specifies hardlinks).

>     /usr/bin/gfortran-4.exe
>     /usr/bin/i686-pc-cygwin-gfortran-4.exe

These two are identical to the ones above - you need to read the manual,
and remind yourself that /bin and /usr/bin are mount points that visit the
same directory.  Removing /bin/gfortran-4.exe would simultaneously make
/usr/bin/gfortran-4.exe disappear.

> 3. Lastly, just a dumb question: why do we get multiple executables in
> the first place? I noticed that g77 also comes in multiple files:
>     $ locate g77 | grep exe
>     /bin/g77.exe
>     /usr/bin/g77.exe
>
> Is that really necessary?

Yes, because that's how the default mount points are set up.

- --

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net