Re: [1.7] Problem - emacs fails to get shell-command output

On Dec 14 16:49, Ken Brown wrote:
On 12/11/2008 2:30 PM, Matt Wozniski wrote:
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
One other thing I've noticed, which I think is unrelated, is that there is a
glitch in directory listing in emacs under cygwin 1.7: If you try to list a
directory with control-x d, very often the directory listing makes it look
like the directory is empty when it isn't. Typing "g" (to ask emacs to
redisplay the directory) usually results in a correct listing.
[...]
With no knowledge of cygwin's internals, I'd much sooner guess the
changes to the pipe code...
I should have just reported the symptom instead of trying to guess the cause: Emacs runs the shell command "ls -al" and thinks there's no output. Here's a second example. I used emacs's "ediff" function to compare two buffers, and it reported (incorrectly) that there were no differences. So it seems that emacs called on the shell to run "diff" but didn't get the output.

Any chance to create a testcase which reproduces this behaviour without involving emacs? Emacs is hell of a testcase which I won't even touch with gloves...

Unfortunately, I have virtually no programming experience. I was hoping the emacs maintainer might be able to help. Or maybe there are some programmers out there who are also emacs users and would be willing to try to debug this. There's a file called callproc.c in the emacs source, which deals with "synchronous subprocess invocation"; it might be a place to start, but that's just a guess.

Ken