Re: Could I use backslash directly as path delimiter on cygwin?

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 05:39:10AM +0000, Andy Koppe wrote:
> yuanyun.ken wrote:
>>cygwin is great, I like it.  But when I want to change directory, I
>>have to type 'cd D:/dira/dirb' or 'cd D:\\dira\\dirb'.  This is
>>somewhat inconvenient.
>
><shameless plug> You might like MinTTY, which allows you to drag and
>drop files into it.  Your example would be inserted as "D:\dira\dirb".
>See http://code.google.com/p/mintty </shameless plug>

MinTTY is nice but I think people may be missing the point here (or I
am).  I believe that the OP wants to avoid typing "cd a:\\b\\c" and just
type "cd a:\b\c" into the bash shell.

If that is the question then the answer is "No, you can't do that".
MS-DOS paths in the Cygwin utilities often work more by coincidence than
design.  bash's design is to use the backslash as a quoting character so
there is no chance that you will be able to change its command line
interface.  Doing this would actually go against the reason for Cygwin
which strives to provide a UNIX-like environment for Windows.

cgf