Empty include file on samba share

Hi

I have a problem that may be cygwin or not. I'll just ask here if anybody knows
something (or to show me some better place to go to).

We use a quite old cross-gcc (2.95.2), built with cygwin and running on various
windows (since NT on to vista). The currently used cygwin is version
1.5.19-cr-0x5ef, but we have also worked with other versions. We have
some projects that are C++ with header files and can be compiled with
no problems on a local drive.

However if the whole C++ project is moved from the local drive to a
share (samba, probably also windows) the compilation may fail with
various errors. The main problem seems to be that include files are not
read properly. They are found (gcc emits an error if the name is wrong)
but the content seems not to be read. Even if such a problematic
header file contains crap it is not mentioned by gcc. To make things
worse is that on different computers the compilation may fail differently
or even work without problems.

I don't know if there's anything I could change in cygwin to improve
this (except updating, but I'd like to hear first, if this is known).

Has anybody ever experienced something similar? Or an idea what I
could look into (from the cygwin side)? I have already asked on the
gcc mailinglist, but it was unknown so far.

Thanks for any help

bye  Fabi