Re: paste into vim

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Andrew DeFaria <Andrew@defaria.com> wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>>>
>>> If you didn't get an insert key then you got ripped off however I think
>>> you may just be looking in the wrong place, By Logitiech Y-SZ49 did you mean
>>> this one: http://cafe.mobil.hr/showthread.php?t=49534 ? Because if you did I
>>> see an insert key there, right below prt scrn.
>>
>> Nah, there's a different model where for some completely nutso reason they
>> decided to get rid of the Ins. key so they could have a double-height Del.
>> instead!
>>
>> http://www.mf-daten.de/catalog/images/b177.jpg
>
> Like I said, you got ripped off! I'm such such keyboards are very popular!

The double-height delete key is my problem.  Perhaps I was ripped off,
but my choices at the time were:
a) What I got, where my only complaint is the double-height delete.
b) Poor arrangement of keys like backspace, control, and enter, which
are vastly more important to me than insert.  ...not to mention the
various keyboards with poorly-arranged cursor keys and/or
insert/delete/home/end/page up/page down keys.
c) Pay twice as much---or more---for keyboards that had way too many
extra buttons.
So I opted for the least of those evils.  Obviously, I could've done
better if I widened my search, but it was already very wide when I
made my decision.

>> OP will have to use the numpad Ins., I guess.
>
> Exactly.

OP forgot numpad Ins. exists, because I only ever use it for numbers.  Doh!
It isn't above criticism, though.  Because I frequently use the number
pad as *gasp* a number pad, num lock is always on, which means
shift-insert requires two extra keypresses.

As long as I'm posting to this thread again, I might as well ask how
to paste from the clipboard if I'm running in a windows command
prompt.  I hope that it can be done, but I'm not holding my breath.
Shift-Insert switches between insert and replace.  "* and "+ just make
the default beep noise, and then p pastes whatever it would have
before those " commands.  (Incidentally, they do the same thing when
running in xterm.)  The middle mouse button of course does nothing,
but I'm looking for keyboard solutions anyway.  I've been using the
command prompt's own paste command, but I was hoping for something
quicker.  Also, it's not a "true" paste, and sometimes it's just
faster to paste into notepad, save, then load with vim.