Trouble installing ssh server on Vista Home 64

People seem to have trouble getting sshd running.
Here's my flavor of the problem, with recipe to repeat:

Fresh install of Vista Home SP1 64 bit.

Try and fail to install cygwin sshd, then
completely uninstall cygwin according to the FAQ here:
    http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all
except leave
CYGWIN system environment variable set to: ntsec tty,
PATH containing c:\cygwin\bin.

Logged in as myself.
Downloaded setup.exe
Ran it with admin privs.
Selected All Users.
Selected c:\cygwin\pkg as local package directory.
Download from cygwin.osuosl.edu.
Took defaults, except added openssh.
Setup completed, but windows said "This program might not have installed
correctly.  If this program didn't install correctly, try reinstalling
using settings that are compatible with this version of Windows."
Decline the offer to reinstall using recommended settings.

Logged off and on - Cygwin shell icon now appears on desktop.
Opened a Cygwin window with "run as administrator."  This caused it to set up
    my home directory with .bashrc, .bash_profile, and .inputrc.
Entered "ssh-host-config -y".
After the line "*** Query: Should privilege separation be used? (yes/no) yes",
it complains that /etc/passwd and /etc/group are not readable by all, quit with
    ERROR: Problem with LocalSystem or Administrator IDs.
so do chmod +r /etc/passwd /etc/group
Reran ssh-host-config -y.
    It recreated ssh_config and sshd_config.
    It complains that the permissions on /var are not correct.  Says they
        must match the regexp d..x..x..x.  Exits.
so do chmod 755 /var
Reran ssh-host-config -y.
    It recreated ssh_config and sshd_config.
        mv:try to overwrite `/etc/sshd_config', overriding mode 0550
(r-xr-x---)?
    Responded yes
    It says it found a privileged account 'cyg_server', possibly from
an old run.
    It asks for a different name for cyg_server (because of the -y option):
        I told it to use sshd_server.
    It asks for a password for sshd_server and I gave it one
    It complains
/usr/share/csih/cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh: line 2521:
/etc/passwd: Permission denied
but because I used -y, it ran on and thought it was done with host
configuration, complaining by the way
*** Warning: User sshd_server does not appear in /etc/passwd
chown: invalid user sshd_server

Unnstall cygwin again
Remove sshd_server and cyg_server users (strangely
named Privileged Server) in Control Panel / User Accounts / Manage Accounts
Reboot

Reinstall cygwin again (as administrator)
Run Cygwin (as administrator)
chmod 644 /etc/passwd /etc/group
chmod 755 /var
run ssh-host-config -y
It says "Info: ... requires a non-privileged account called 'sshd'.
See /usr/share/doc/openssh/README.privsep."

That file says to create an empty directory /var/empty,
but that already exists.  It also says
  groupadd sshd
but the groupadd command doesn't exist, and package
search finds nothing.  An old post on the list says
use net group, but that command fails with "This
command can be used only on a Windows Domain Controller."

Any tips?  Is this even possible on Vista Home?
- Dan