Re: cygwin 1.7.0-40: Socket operation on non-socket

On Feb 12 08:59, Steffen Sledz wrote:
> On one of my machines running cygwin a few programs (like rsync or dig) fail with an error like this (for detailed info see attached strace.txt):
>
>  $ dig @dns1.dresearch.de www.cygwin.com
>  /usr/src/ports/net/bind/bind-9.6.0-1/src/bind-9.6.0/lib/isc/unix/socket.c:4525: bind: Socket operation on non-socket
>  dig: isc_socket_bind: unexpected error

You already sent this message, why don't you stick to the original
thread?  Anyway, works for me.  This error message is never generated
explicitely by Cygwin, it's always a return code from a Winsock
function.  Whatever the reason is on your machine, it's not under the
control of Cygwin, apparently.

Did you check for http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA?  See this in your
cygcheck output:

> Potential app conflicts:
>
> ByteMobile laptop optimization client
> Detected: Named file.

Also, see this very old reply
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00444.html and the followup
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00458.html to this very old
thread you're referring to
>  <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-09/msg00391.html>
As well as
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2008-01/msg00342.html

If you really can't nail down the reason, we need a reproducible testcase,
preferrably in plain C source code.  The above one is not reproducible.

Corinna

Red Hat