Re: [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-45

On April 14, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > ... the setting of the console would depend on the
> > LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG setting when you start the first Cygwin process of
> > a Cygwin process tree in that console.  It would last for all Cygwin
> > processes within the same process tree.
>
> This approach is now implemented in 1.7.0-46.  Please give it a try.

UTF-8 after rlogin/telnet works fine now, thank you.

There are still a few issues I'd like to report:

----------------------

I still had some confusing UTF-8 malfunction effects, which however
occured only since I still have the bin directory of cygwin 1.5 in my
Windows path; I am mentioning the observations anyway in case it
matters:

After set LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
this works fine:
	cat utftest
	rlogin ...
	bash --login
However, the following does NOT work:
	bash	# without --login, but using cygwin 1.7 bash
	mined	# my own application

So, somehow, bash --login finds its proper cygwin1.dll while
bash without --login does not; also cat and rlogin do find
their proper cygwin1.dll while my self-compiled application
does not...

----------------------

Another effect:

With some encodings, bash hangs with sed.exe using 99% CPU time; if I
interrupt with ^C, however, the codepage is properly set up. This happens
with the "DOS codepages" CP437...CP866 and CP1125, while the "ANSI codepages"
CP874 and CP1250...CP1258, the ISO codepages, and the CJK codepages work fine.

By the way, maybe it should be mentioned in the user guide that setting the
console font to Lucida Console rather than "Raster Fonts" enhances the
Unicode font support. Even then I don't get any Arabic/Hebrew/Thai or CJK
font display. Do you have a working test setup for those? (I guess so
since you support the encodings.)

Yet another issue:
When I hit Backspace on the command line in UTF-8 or CJK modes, the
whole line including the prompt is blanked.