Re: Moving Cygwin

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2009-04-30 12:27Z, Tim Visher wrote:
>>
>> I originally installed cygwin in the default `C:\cygwin` directory.
>> I'd like to move it from there to `C:\`.  Is there any easy way to do
>> this?
>
> Please consider advice to the contrary, e.g.:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.c
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-01/msg00027.html
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-02/msg00192.html

Thanks for the information.

Maybe the context for my question would help.  I'm attempting to
follow advice from [Steve Yegge's My .emacs File
article](http://steve.yegge.googlepages.com/my-dot-emacs-file) in
order to get useful cygwin bash interaction from within NT Emacs.  He
seems to be of the opinion that the gentleman who responded in the
comments about having the path interpolation code and installing
cygwin in the default directory was mislead about what you need to get
it to work.

Are there A) Practical responses to Yegge's way of using Cygwin and NT
Emacs? or B) A proven way to do what I'm trying to do without messing
with cygwin's install directory (I would prefer this as I would like
to keep cygwin safely secluded).

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,