Re: Minor terminfo problem (was Re: Garbage man pages)

On Jun 18 20:08, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > ETerm-color points to ../E/ETerm, but the directory is called 'e',
>   Eterm-color           ../E/Eterm   (lowercase 't')
> > not 'E'.  That's a problem when using case-sensitivity like on a couple
> > of my test machines.
>
> Errr...that should only be true for terminfo0, in that:
>
> $ ls -l e/Eterm*
> -rw-r--r-- e/Eterm
> lrwxrwxrwx e/Eterm-color -> ../E/Eterm
>
> However, for modern terminfo,
>
> $ ls -l 45/Eterm*
> -rw-r--r-- 45/Eterm
> -rw-r--r-- 45/Eterm-256color
> -rw-r--r-- 45/Eterm-88color
> lrwxrwxrwx 45/Eterm-color -> ../45/Eterm
>
> So, this puzzles me:
>
> > 2009/06/16 11:13:45 running: C:\cygwin-1.7\bin\bash.exe --norc
> --noprofile -c /etc/postinstall/terminfo.sh
> > chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink `Eterm-color'
>
> as I don't quite understand why that is failing, even on a
> case-sensitive system.

It fails because the script doesn't only iterate through the
terminifo dirs, but also through the terminfo0 dirs:

  for d in ${terminfodir}/* ; do
    [...]

Of course it doesn't *really* fail, it just generates  that error message.
Maybe the script should really only operate on the terminfo subdirs, not
on the terminfo0 subdirs.

Or even better, don't chmod the files at all.  The permissions are
already correct since setup-1.7 creates the file with the right
permissions from the tar archive anyway.

> > Chuck?  Can you fix this in a manner which also works on case-sensitive
> > filesyatems, please?
>
> No, and maybe.
>
> terminfo0 and terminfo0-extra are WONTFIX, because the actual *fix* is
> to use newer ncurses, and terminfo/terminfo-extra. That was the whole point.

Ok.

Corinna

Red Hat