cygwin-1.7.0-50

...is da bomb!

For the first time, building libtool and running its 5 hour long test
suite is easier on 1.7 than on 1.5!  I have never, until now, been able
to run that test suite unattended on 1.7, since every two or three tests
I previously was hit with the dreaded "*** unable to remap" problem.

This led to the caveman superstitious ritual of rebooting, shutting down
all cygwin services, running peflagsall and rebaseall, then rebooting
again, restarting all daemons...and then I could restart the libtool
testsuite again where it left off.  Without the caveman ritual, once it
hit "*** unable to remap" it would never work again.

Of course, then libtool would complete another two or three tests, and
die with "*** unable to remap" again.

This procedure turned a 5-hour lightly-attended ordeal into a two or
three day heavily attended nightmare.  But...NO MORE!

Now, with cygwin-1.7.0-50, running the libtool testsuite runs to
successful completion in 5 hours or so, but COMPLETELY UNATTENDED. I
can't tell you how ecstatic that makes me.

Now, back in cygwin-1.5-land, the test suite still must be lightly
attended. There are a few tests in which executables which depend on
DLLs are deliberately launched in such a way that they can't find their
DLLs.  Under Vista (thanks to its "improvements") this means that you
get 6 popups concerning "Foo has stopped working. Do you want Vista to
search for a solution" each and every time this happens -- and the whole
testsuite stops until you click cancel.

So -- for the first time since I got the new computer with Vista, I can
now run the libtool testsuite totally unattended...like I used to be
able to do with XP and cygwin-1.5.  Yay!!!!

Great job, Corinna (and, I believe, Eric is responsible for cygwin-1.7
now capturing those "can't find DLL" errors and turning them into normal
console messages rather than allowing Win32 to "handle" them with its
stupid modal popups).

--
Chuck