Re: How to avoid having shell scripts which fail from killing Emacs shell?

Am 23.06.2009, 17:03 Uhr, schrieb David Karr <dkarr@real.com>:

I just tried changing my script to instead just do a "read" with a prompt.
This does not kill the shell at the end of the script. When I do it in
Java, it kills the shell at the end of the script. Weird.

Is Java trying anything WRT signalling process groups rather than just itself in the belief it were a session leader, i. e. when it tries to shoot its threads, it accidentally also shoots down the shell?

Open stdin descriptors can hamper "detaching" processes.

Does the Java stuff you're doing need stdin? If not, try running the JVM with input redirection such as <&- (closes stdin, assuming bash or similar) or </dev/null.

--
Matthias Andree