Re: Problem with displaying ASCII table in mintty

> With this configuration, the upper 128 entries to the ASCII
> table are displayed as follows (the #'s are replacements for
> the gray box character that is displayed):

That's because because bytes from 0x80 to 0xFF by themselves are
invalid in UTF-8. Those codepoints need to be encoded as two-byte
sequences. I'd suspect /bin/ascii isn't designed for that.

OK. From what you have written, it appears that the defect is in /usr/bin/ascii (cygutils) in that it does not support UTF-8. Either that will need to be fixed or the documentation for the tool could list/describe the problem so that other users are told that it is known.

> In addition,
> many entries are displayed in the wrong location (some rows are out
> of order).

That's because some of the C1 control characters are interpreted
specially, in particular CSI and OSC. It's the same if you try it in
xterm.

You can get most of the printable characters in the C1 range by
switching to Windows codepage 1252. (Well, you could anyway if it
wasn't for a rather bad bug in mintty-0.4.0 and 0.4.1 that means that
ISO-8859-1 is used no matter your codepage setting. That's fixed on
the 0.4 SVN branch.)

OK. Users can display the upper 128 entries in 'rxvt' so there is a work-around in a Cygwin environment. (In 'rxvt', LC_CTYPE should not be set to UTF-8. AFAIK, UTF-8 is not supported in cygwin's rxvt.)