Re: fork and exec (was: Re: Proposed patch to system.XWinrc)

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 06:52:38PM +0200, Vincent R. wrote:
>On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:06:22 -0400, Christopher Faylor
>> No one is asking for benchmarks! However, if we were, strace is
>> particularly unsuitable for that task.  If you want to see improvements
>> happen then dive into the code and offer specific suggestions.
>
>I did but maybe it would be important to know for sure that the problem
>comes from fork and exec because I think you are sharing the same code
>with mingw and it runs a lot faster with it.  So before I dive :
>
>1) I want to be sure that fork/exec are the reason
>2) See the differences with mingw.

If you think we're sharing process creation code with MinGW then you
have a misunderstanding about the nature of the projects.  One of the
main reasons for MinGW is that they want to do everything natively.
That is obviously not the case with Cygwin.

If you are talking about MSYS then, the last time I checked, we were
actually slightly faster.  I obviously can't tell you what to do but I
doubt that comparing the current version of Cygwin against an ancient
hacked version of Cygwin (i.e., MSYS) is going to be very useful.

cgf