Re: perl threads on 2008 R2 64bit = crash ( was: perl 5.10 threads on 1.5.25 = instant crash )

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> Right, and I don't know how you could make the claim that Cygwin apps
> don't install SEH handlers.  We can't possibly know how every Cygwin app
> does this.  Obviously there's at least one app out there which has
> decided that it needs to use Windows-specific methods to accomplish a
> goal.  I'm not exactly thrilled to see code which has decided to dig
> deep into Windows internals.  That's what Cygwin is supposed to prevent.

If cygwin were to provide a working sigaltstack, then libsigsegv would be able
to use that instead of digging into Windows internals (because that's the
interface that libsigsegv expects to be able to use on Linux).  Until that
point, at least all clients of libsigsegv are messing with Windows handlers;
but at least libsigsegv is small and self-contained enough to track potential
portability problems if cygwin makes changes in this area.  On the other hand,
even patching things to allow libsigsegv to use standardized interfaces won't
help apps like perl if they are doing SEH manipulations without the use of
libsigsegv.

--
Eric Blake