From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Larry Hall (Cygwin)
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:04 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Changing HOME for PERL

On 08/26/2009 03:30 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> I installed Cygwin yesterday and when I run it and look at "pwd" my
path
>> is set to:   /cygdrive/h
>>
>> I read the FAQ and when I type "set HOME" from a Windows CLI, it is
set
>> to:
>> HOME=H:\
>>
>> I am using Cygwin for PERL.
>>
>> I just took a PERL course and in class Cygwin was configured for:
>> /usr/bin/perl
>>
>> This was perfect because I could make my SheBang look like:
>> #!/usr/bin/perl
>>
>> I would like to do that again with the Cygwin I installed myself
>> yesterday.
>>
>> I did modify /etc/passwd.
>> The last line had:      ...:/cygdrive/h:/bin/bash
>> and I changed it to:    ...:/usr/bin/perl:/bin/bash
>>
>> But when I open a new Cygwin session it remembers the old /cygdrive/h
>
> The HOME variable takes precedence over /etc/passwd, hence you need to
> either unset it or set it to the location you want before invoking
> bash. It's likely set in the System Properties. The exact location
> depends on the Windows version, but it's something like
> Computer->Context Menu->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables.

Also, the *path* you set in '/etc/passwd' is meant to reference a
directory,
not a file (or binary in this case).  '/usr/bin/perl' on my Cygwin
installation is
a binary.  So I think you're looking for something else (but I really
have no
idea what since I couldn't grok the comment "in class Cygwin was
configured
for: /usr/bin/perl" and how that relates to your interest in setting
your
home directory.

--
Larry Hall                                 http://www.rfk.com