Re: Where are home directories for other users besides my Admin account?

siegfried wrote:
I think the fix should be mkpasswd -l -d /etc/passwd but this says (when run from the heintze account)
First question: Exactly where is the heintze account? If you participate in a domain is it in the Windows Active Directory or is a local user. If the later then -l is what you want. If it's the former then you need -d <domain> (<- from memory - I only run Ubuntu at home anymore).

Also, mkpasswd -l /etc/passwd is not what you want. mkpasswd -l -u heintze >> /etc/passwd is what you want. mkpasswd queries Active Directory (if -d is specified) or the local SAM (Security Accounts Manager) looking up user IDs, formulating them to a Cygwin style /etc/passwd entry, and then echoing them to stdout. So you want to redirect that output, appending (i.e. >>) to your /etc/passwd.
mkpasswd (739): [1212] The format of the specified domain name is invalid.
My guess is that it took -d /etc/passwd to mean the Windows domain "/etc/passwd".
Here is what uname says.
heintze@US-SEA-L3BER9K ~
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.0 US-SEA-L3BER9K 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin

Should I be using the -d option? Maybe not. OK, I'll try it without!

No luck. It still does not see the heintze account.
Leading back to the question of where exactly is the "heintze" account? BTW you probably want -u heintze on that mkpasswd command. The -u says look for this particular user. You're only interested in the heintze user.
So I use vi to edit /etc/passwd and duplicate the heintze-local entry and
remove the -local . I got a
little further.

I get a dialog box that says
"A fatal error has occurred and Cygwin/X will not exit. Please open
/var/log/XWin.%s.log for more
information.."
Let's get your local user working first then we can deal with the X problem. My guess there is that heintze probably doesn't have permissions to deal with heintze-local's home directory.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Living on Earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual trip around the sun.