Re: Re: locale issue? cygwin 1.7, aspell 0.60, reproducible crash

"Thrall, Bryan" wrote in message
Josh Berdine wrote on Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:46 PM:
"Thrall, Bryan" wrote in message
Looks like foo.txt has Windows line endings; try running 'd2u
foo.txt'
and then aspell again.

Thanks, but after changing to unix line endings I see the same
behavior.
Same for checking the empty file.

Also, /usr/lib/aspell-0.60/ is actually populated with what seem to be
the
correct files, and I have reinstalled the aspell package.

Ah well, the '^M' and the funky "Unhandled error" line wrap pointed at the common Windows line endings problem, but it did seem strange that it caused aspell to crash. Perhaps the line ending is somewhere else, like an aspell configuration file (I don't really know anything about aspell) or (going out on a WAG here) LANG, LC_TYPE, or LC_ALL are getting Windows line endings in their value (such as if they are set in cygwin.bat and it was edited by a Windows text editor)?

Hmm, I don't think that the environment variables have line breaks in them, since with:

$ echo :$LANG:
:en_US.UTF-8:

the colons are adjacent to the expected value. FWIW, I set them with the windows settings dialog. I don't know about aspell config files, but I haven't changed any.

Cheers, Josh