Re: Norton Antivirus 2010 false detects various cygwin programs...

[Reformatted -- bottom posting]

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
> Robert Pendell wrote:

>>> Looks like the issue is cleared up. ÂNewest release no longer flags
>>> any cygwin applications. ÂYay!
>>>
>>> BTW, Apologies to Andy Kappe for forgetting to remove his email
>>> address from my prior response. ÂI took care of it and also
>>> reformatted this message appropriately.
>>>

>> Bah... I'm just yanking norton off. ÂFlagged the telnet program in the
>> inetutils package this time. ÂThe sonar protection is broken pretty
>> bad if it is flagging perfectly benign programs. ÂJust someone explain
>> how the telnet program in inetutils is different than telnet in putty
>> or even the windows one? ÂIt blocked (and killed it) when the program
>> tried to make a connection. ÂAnyways.. Norton is out of my system for
>> good. ÂThey had their second (and maybe third and fourth) chance and
>> now I am done with them.
>>
>> Norton Out. ÂAvast In. ÂAt least that one doesn't go flagging
>> perfectly good programs.
>>
>> What are your recommendations of good antivirus programs? ÂI am
>> currently running Windows 7 RTM so it should of at least been tested
>> and checked to work on that platform.
>>
>> Robert Pendell
>> shinji@elite-systems.org
>>
>> "A perfect world is one of chaos."
>>
>> Thawte Web of Trust Notary
>> CAcert Assurer
>>
> I have dumped across years:
>
>   * Norton
>   * McAfee
>   * Antivir
>
> Currently I'm using Kaspersky, which is pricer than the above, but it's
> given me no trouble (so far),  and seems to have detected some real
> problems.

I have not used Kaspersky lately but I may give them a look again.  I
have tried Eset Nod32 as well on Windows 7 but this was before
official compatibility was around.  They are shown as compatible on
the Microsoft site now so I may also give them a go around again.  I
will be looking for that stupid video lag issue.  That issue is that
about every 3 minutes a small .5 second studder occurs.  Took me 2
days to diagnose.