Re: Cygwin 1.7, who version 7.0 does not respond with a value

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On 10/28/2009 10:04 AM, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> > when I type the who command within a Cygwin window, only an empty line
> > is  returned.

> > It looks, to me, as if perhaps we are missing some setup that results in
> > entries being written to utmp when a local Cygwin window is opened. I've
> > just not been able to determine what that is yet.

> 'cygwin.bat' does not "login" to anything, so you won't see user login data
for
> "sessions logged in" this way.  If you want to see actual logged in users,
you
> will need to use 'login' or 'ssh' to really log them in.

On the other hand, rxvt will create utmp entries, and so will mintty if told
to with the -u option.  Presumably xterm also creates utmp entries.  Even
screen creates utmp entries for it's separate windows.  So if you try using
one of these programs instead of just the default windows command window, you
can get who to return a list of sessions.
--
Eric