Re: Problem [1.7]: Inconsistent and wrong results from e.g. ls and md5sum

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 04:53:26PM +0000, Fergus wrote:

>Corinna wrote:
> >> IT'S ALL MY FAULT.
> >> I dislike FAT32 a lot, so I usually never test on it.
>
> > I just uploaded a new Cygwin 1.7 test release, 1.7.0-67.
>
>And it has cleared up the glitch in the context I described.
>
>THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.
>
>I hate NTFS as much as you dislike FAT32, I'm sure. Possibly more. For
>all its disadvantages (dangers? not in my world) I'll stick with FAT32
>and its manageable permissions and test things on [1.7] as best I can
>for as long as I can and as long as [1.7] recognises FAT32 as a viable
>platform to be supported.
>
>Which by implication of your transition 1.7.0-66 -> 67, it does? Which
>therefore in turn raises this:
>
>FAT32 + [1.7] + XWin stopped being a viable combination after 1.7.60 for
>the reasons you describe at
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-11/msg00081.html (incidentally I
>find the -nolock switch has no useful effect).
>
>So a FAT32 user is stuck with
>EITHER
>reverting to 1.7.0-60 if using XWin
>OR
>using 1.7.0-curr but without XWin.
>
>Is there any likelihood that Cygwin chiefs would reconsider the decision
>leading to this restriction so that the up-to-date combination
>FAT32 + [1.7.0-curr] + Xwin
>remained a possibility?

The above referenced URL says:

"As for X, it should have a fallback method if the /tmp filesystem
doesn't support hardlinks."

That seems pretty clear to me.  You should be taking this up with
the X maintainers rather than asking for a hacky cygwin DLL fix.

cgf