Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] New: {attr/libattr-devel/libattr1}-2.4.43-1

On Dec 28 08:02, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> > "attr" is a set of tools for manipulating extended attributes on
> > filesystem objects, in particular getfattr(1) and setfattr(1). ?An
> > attr(1) command is also provided which is largely compatible with the
> > SGI IRIX tool of the same name.
>
> If I understand the manpage correctly, doing a 'getfattr -d <path>'
> should dump the extended attributes of the files in the supplied path.
>  When I try this on any path I supply, getfattr simply returns with no
> output to stdout.
>
> I'm assuming that is because there are no extended attributes
> associated with any of the files in the paths I've tested with?

Very likely.

Try this:

  $ touch xyz
  $ attr -s foo -V bar xyz
  Attribute "foo" set to a 3 byte value for xyz:
  bar
  $ attr -l xyz
  Attribute "foo" has a 3 byte value for xyz
  $ attr -g foo xyz
  Attribute "foo" had a 3 byte value for xyz:
  bar

  And now for a small surprise:

  $ getfattr -d xyz
  # file: xyz
  user.foo="bar"

  $ setfattr -n foo -v baz xyz
  setfattr: xyz: Operation not supported
  $ setfattr -n user.foo -v baz xyz
  $ getfattr -d xyz
  # file: xyz
  user.foo="baz"

  $ attr -g foo xyz
  Attribute "foo" had a 3 byte value for xyz:
  baz

See `man 5 attr'.  All NTFS/Samba EAs are treated as extended *user*
attributes.  namespace.  On Cygwin only user EAs are supported and
mapped to NTFS/Samba EAs without the "user." prefix.

Corinna

Red Hat