Feedback: new installations of 1.5 (legacy) and 1.7 (current)

After several months of running both 1.5 and 1.7 updating them as they both evolved (1.5 more slowly than 1.7) I wiped both and yesterday installed both from scratch.

1.5 Legacy
No problems at all with installation, though with the new setup.exe the transition from <Default> to <Install> when the selector is clicked, is really very slow.

1.7 Current
1 This might already have been cleared up but on commencing installation (of everything) there was a moan about "Unmet dependencies: libtiff6 required by all of libtiff-devel, tiff, tiff-opengl." Other than this everything went completely smoothly though again a very slow transition from <Default> to <Install>.
2 gcc is linked to gcc-4.exe by default. I had problems building executables with the same error msg occurring in all cases:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.3.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
I linked gcc to gcc-3.exe instead and everything built properly.

BOTH
I get fed up with the 1k _obsolete and src files that re-appear with every use of current versions of setup.exe and setup-legacy.exe, as though they required installation. I know their re-occurrence does not "matter", at all, but I remove them by cheating, using what is by now a very old setup.exe v.2.510.2.2. With a bit of fiddling (for 1.5 change name setup-legacy.ini to setup.ini; for 1.7 remove the "message:" paragraph under @cygwin from setup.ini) this whizzes though the installation, picking up the 1k extras. The message at the end is "Nothing needed to be installed" but they evidently have been incorporated into installed.db and that's the last one sees of them.
I am sure this behaviour is unapproved and it might trip me up later.
(But I can't quite think why, or for that matter why current setup.exe and setup-legacy.exe can't cope, or be made to cope, with these in the same way.)

Two great packages, thank you.

Fergus

PS For both packages
1.5: setup-legacy.exe + setup-legacy.ini + release-legacy/*
1.7: setup.exe + setup.ini + release/*
(including all *src*) the entire provision required for an internet-independent installation still fits on a DVD (just).