Re: 1.7.1-1 noacl on samba share has incorrect directory write bit

On Jan 7 13:42, Raman Gupta wrote:
On Jan 7 00:39, Raman Gupta wrote:
"Cygwin ignores filesystem ACLs and only fakes a subset of
permission bits based on the DOS readonly attribute"

No, it's a bit more tricky. FAT filesystems, which are the role model for noacl filesystems don't know something like a R/O directory. The DOS R/O bit on a directory does NOT mean the directory is R/O. Rather, it only means that the folder is some sort of special folder. For some better description, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549.

Wow, isn't that just like Microsoft to reuse an existing read-only bit for something that is completely different semantically!

In any case, note that the KB article says that attrib *can* be used
to see and modify the value -- as I demonstrated in my previous
email.

Sure. That has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. While you can set and reset the R/O bit on a dir, it doesn't have the *meaning* of the directory being R/O. If Cygwin reports such a directory as being read-only from the POSIX perspective, certain functions would have strange ideas and return EACCES, for instance.

In the case I am speaking of (a Samba share using the default settings), the functions *should* return EACCES, since on the server-side the directory is indeed non-writable.

Therefore the fault is not on Cygwin's side, but on Samba's side to use
the DOS R/O bit for something different than Windows uses it on
directories.

Understood. However, while Samba's use of the read-only bit on directories does differ somewhat from what Windows Explorer expects to use that bit for, it is a valid field and it does provide useful information to the client in the case of noacl Samba mounts.

Therefore, what would you think about configuring this via a mount
option? For example, a per-mount setting called dro/nodro (directory

That's not the right thing to do, IMHO. That's what the default "acl" mount mode is for.

Unfortunately, acl mode is unusable when in a non-domain environment.

Cheers,
Raman