Re: missing setup command line arguments in the FAQ.

I found this message in my hosted Gmail (Google Apps) accountâs Spam folder. I wonder why Gmail thought it was spam? Because it contained the URL of a(n) (Windows) executable file?

Dave Korn wrote:
G.W. Haywood wrote:

BTW, if you run "setup.exe --help", it will (depending on OS
version) either display the usage instructions to the screen,

I assume you mean it will print the usage instructions to stdout or stderr, which are not necessarily connected to a terminal?

or
dump them to a setup.log file in the directory where you run it.

That's not correct (*):

laptop:~$>>>  ./setup.exe
-bash: ./setup.exe: cannot execute binary file

Well strictly it is, since I said what would happen if you ran it, and not what would happen if you _didn't_ run it (for whatever reason that might happen to be)!

Because G.W. Haywood is not running it on Windows (nor ReactOS) nor with Wine?

Yes, one could just *try it*, if he had a Windows machine on which to
try it.

Not all Cygwin users are male. Please use âhe or sheâ or, if you agree with singular usage of traditionally plural pronouns, âtheyâ instead of âheâ.

*koff*

Donât you mean *COFF* (as opposed to ELF)? ;)

Prepare to be shocked, amazed, awed and astounded!

[davek@ubique ~]$ uname -a

bash? Shouldnât you use *ksh? ;)

Linux ubique.localdomain 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 23 23:37:54 EDT 2009 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[davek@ubique ~]$ wget http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
--2010-01-18 13:20:58--  http://cygwin.com/setup.exe
Resolving cygwin.com... 209.132.180.131
Connecting to cygwin.com|209.132.180.131|:80... connected.
Length: 624128 (610K) [application/octet-stream]

Is that a (bit)stream of eighth notes in the key of C? ;)

Saving to: `setup.exe'

100%[====================================================================================>] 624,128 28.6K/s in 16s

2010-01-18 13:21:15 (37.3 KB/s) - `setup.exe' saved [624128/624128]

[davek@ubique ~]$ chmod a+x setup.exe
[davek@ubique ~]$ wine ./setup.exe --help

Are you using Wine with the builtin xor native libraries? Note: the xor operator is to prevent a âYesâ answer since this question requires a string, not a boolean, as an answer. :)

fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT_setlocale :Codepage only locale not implemented
Starting cygwin install, version 2.677
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/setup.rc) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/last-cache) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/last-action) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-method) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-host) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/net-proxy-port) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/last-mirror) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/extrakeys) failed 2 No such file or directory
io_stream_cygfile: fopen(/etc/setup/chooser_window_settings) failed 2 No such file or directory
Current Directory: Z:\home\davek

Command Line Options:

<snip>

Ending cygwin install
AddAccessAllowedAce(, owner) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, group) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, everyone) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, owner) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, group) failed: 1337
AddAccessAllowedAce(, everyone) failed: 1337

Does this mean you are too 1337 to be allowed access? ;)

[davek@ubique ~]$

:-)

     cheers,
       DaveK

Did you know old Apple keyboards, such as the Apple Extended Keyboard II from 1989, have the bumps on D and K instead of F and J? :) I used to have one of those keyboards in my 68k Mac collection. I wish I had kept the keyboard because it would be cool if I could use it on a PC with an ADBâUSB converter. I liked that keyboardâs feel: it had mechanical key switches instead of rubber membrane/dome switches. The Caps Lock key stayed down when Caps Lock was on, like Shift Lock on a typewriter (and a C64?). I forgot if it had the Lock LEDs on the keys themselves or in a group elsewhere on the keyboard.

-- Sometimes I forget how to do small talk: <http://xkcd.com/222/>

âIf you have to ask why, youâre not a member of the intended audience.â â Bob Zimbinski, <http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/>