Re: Why require ps -W and kill -f

On 1/22/2010 4:15 PM, Don Beusee wrote:
I am a unix user that has moved to windows.  I want unix commands on windows
that function like their unix counterparts.  That is supposed to be one of
cygwin's missions, is it not?

Sorry, but you're not exactly on the side of the angels when you argue that ps should work "like on Unix". ps is one of the few programs that still works quite differently on every *ix. You can say you want it to work like the ps some particular *ix, but then you have to explain how you want it to work around the problems that cause it to work the way it does now. (One being, Windows PIDs are not Cygwin PIDs.)

A raw demand to "make it work the way I think it should work" isn't going to get you very far. It works the way it does for a reason, and if you want it to work another way, you have to propose a way to get from here to there.